PHPBB3 from Synaptic

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri Feb 13 15:36:39 UTC 2009

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>> You should read /usr/share/doc/phpbb3/README.Debian.
>> It got me slightly further..I created a symlink in /etc/apache2/conf.d
>> to point to /etc/phpbb3/apache.conf
>
> Is that what is written in /usr/share/doc/phpbb3/README.Debian?
> If yes, look at the logs.
>
> Please give us the content of /etc/phpbb3/apache.conf too.
> And (if not heavy) /etc/apache2/sites-available/*

What is in the README is, for first use,
***********
2) Make sure you include /etc/phpbb3/apache.conf in the apache config of
your choice, for example by creating a symlink from etc/apache(2)/conf.d
to it. Usually, phpbb3 should have asked you to do this for you during
configuring.

3) Reload apache to have the changed in (2) take effect.

4) Go to the URL of your board, usually
http://yourserver.example.com/phpbb. If this doesn't work, see previous
step, and consult your apache documentation if that still doesn't
resolve the issue.

**********

I made the link, and reloaded it. Nothing...including no error on the
browser about the file not existing.

The error log said,
**********
File does not exist: /var/www/phpbb
********
So I went into /var/www and created a symlink from phpbb to
/usr/share/phpbb3/www. Blank page now.

the /etc/phpbb3/apache.conf is the default,:
**************
> # Note: order matters
> Alias /phpbb/images/avatars /var/lib/phpbb3/avatars
> Alias /phpbb /usr/share/phpbb3/www
>
> <Directory /usr/share/phpbb3/www/>
> 	<IfModule mod_php4.c>
> 		php_flag register_globals off
> 	</IfModule>
> 	<IfModule mod_php5.c>
> 		php_flag register_globals off
> 	</IfModule>
>
> 	Options -Indexes +FollowSymlinks
>
> 	DirectoryIndex index.php
>
> 	AllowOverride None
> 	order allow,deny
> 	allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> # For a second board on the same server (see README.multiboard for details):
> #
> #Alias /second_board/images/avatars /var/lib/phpbb3/board2_avatars <<< create!
> #Alias /second_board /usr/share/phpbb3/www
> #<Location /second_board>
> #	php_value auto_prepend_file /etc/phpbb3/alternative_config.php
> #</Location>
>
> # For virtual host:
> #<VirtualHost *>
> #	# For using an alternative database (for multiple boards for example)
> #	php_value auto_prepend_file /etc/phpbb3/virtualhost_config.php
> #
> #	ServerName forum.example.com
> #	DocumentRoot /usr/share/phpbb3/www
> #  	# You may need to workaround the global /images/ alias in your apache
> #  	# configuration, your mileage may vary
> #  	Alias /images/avatars /var/lib/phpbb3/avatars
> #  	Alias /images /usr/share/phpbb3/www/images
> #</VirtualHost>

And the sites-available has two files, both default configurations(this
whole server was set up yesterday with defaults using synaptic)...the
first file is called default, and the other is ssl-default, but here's
the file called default: