OT Internet wars

steve sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Fri Feb 13 12:34:37 UTC 2009

Christopher Chan wrote:
> steve wrote:
>>>>
>>> Meh, I feel sorry for you guys in the States. I get 10mb/10mb UNLIMITED
>>> for 15USD/mnth. If I wanted, I can get 200mb/200mb for less than 40USD/mnth.
>>>
>>> How long are you people in the States goi200 meg 200 meg internet connectioninternet connectionng to allow them crooks to
>>> fleece you?
>> 200meg? thats insane fast, if true, i doubt anything like that would be
>> available residential, you sure you got the numbers right?? thats like
>> 20 times faster than what I have in NY with time warner and I get
>> 800-900 kbps download speeds, maybe 50 up, I thought that was pretty
>> decent for $40 a month.
>>

> I live in Hong Kong. It is about 20meg (200mbits) and yes, it is
> residential. I am definite I got the numbers right. You can even get
> 1Gbit residential but at a rather hefty premium. I routinely get 1.1xx
> mbps download speeds from the local Ubuntu mirror (ftp.hostrino.com).
>
> I do however need to make a retraction with regards to the fees...either
> things have changed in the past year or two or the online information
> does not include deals you get on the streets. Eg: I pay 15USD/mnth for
> a 10mbit connection but the fee shown online is 21.5USD/mnth. The fees
> are all for unlimited...we don't have bandwidth caps. Also,
> international bandwidth is a maximum 20mbits (2megs). I divide all the
> numbers I see by 7.8 for forex.
>
> HGC Broadband
> 100mbit (10meg)residential = 30USD/mnth
> http://www.hgcbroadband.com/superbroadband.html
> Old page but in English: http://www.hgcbroadband.com/Landing page_Eng.html
>

> HKBN
> Fibre:
> 1Gbit (100meg) residential = 215USD/mnth
> 200mbit (20meg)residential = 88USD/mnth
> DSL:
> 100mbit (10meg)residential = 34USD/mnth
> DSL also available without contracts at a higher fee
> 100mbit (10meg)residential = 51USD/mnth
>
> http://www.hkbn.net/bb1000/offer_ftth_bb1000.html
> http://www.hkbn.net/bb1000/offer_ftth_bb200.html
> http://www.hkbn.net/bb1000/offer_basic_bb100.html
> http://www.hkbn.net/bb1000/offer_no_contract.html

oh damn dude, now that makes sense to me, so your dl speeds are "pretty
close" to mine then, I have 15meg cable, and I believe its right around
45 month, its in a bundle, but no contracts, 100 a month includes
digital cable.

I would love to get my hands on that gig connection, but afraid that 200
a month would certainly break me!

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com