deb http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-proposed/

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 13 06:29:13 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 2/12/09, Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> From: Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com>
> Subject: Re: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-proposed/
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Thursday, February 12, 2009, 9:00 PM
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:33:14 -0800 (PST)
> Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone shed some light for me on why the above
> > ubuntu mirror doesn't work. Yep, I googled on it
> and
> > find the link that shows all, main, restricted,
> universe
> > and multiverse with each containing files. I get error
> > Err http://archive.ubuntu.com
> hardy-proposed/multiverse Packages
> >   404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.46 80]
> > on all, main, restricted, multivers and universe.
> > Appreciate any insight on why this is not working or
> if the
> > url has changed its address and why I don't pick
> that up googling.
> > TIA,
> >
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
> >

> Doesn't that need to be 'deb
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
> hardy-backports main restricted universe multiverse' ?
>
> Note the /ubuntu/

Thanks Charlie,
Although I copied your mirror it didn't work due to line wrap I
suppose but after fiddling with it for a while, I got the correct
format down and now aptitude update works with no errors.  Had some multiple entries also due to using software sources which apparently just adds a new line and not overwrite an identical entry. I also got a few serious errors due to bad formatting which didn't show before:
E: Malformed line 71 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (absolute dist)
E: Couldn't read list of package sources
Which I corrected by comparing and trial and error. It seems there
were some ..../dist/... in the entries that was giving the error but
were there before and did not give any errors while updating. In this case nothing would update because of the error. And I was beginning to think that I new all about fixing the sources.list=:))
Appreciate your help.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net