controlling the download transfer rate while updating a system

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 21:32:24 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/11/2009 07:50 AM, H.S. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> There have been times where I have wished that I could control the
>> download rate while the system was being updated and updates were being
>> downloaded. Well, I discovered this on Debian user mailing list and
>> tried it with success so I wanted to share the experience.
>>
>> To control the default download rate while the updates are being
>> downloaded, make the change in /etc/apt/apt.conf (using sudo). I
>> inserted the following lines in a machine to cap the download rate
>> //-------------------------------------------------------------
>> // Options for the downloading routines
>> Acquire
>> {
>>   // HTTP method configuration
>>   http
>>   {
>>     Dl-Limit "20";        // maximum download rate in KB/s
>>   };
>>
>> };
>> //-------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Note the Dl-Limit number has units of Kilo Bytes per second.
>
> I think that you will need to add the queue-mode option:
>
> http://mirror.atrpms.net/ccrma/man/man5/apt.conf.5.html
> <quote>
> THE ACQUIRE GROUP
>
>        The Acquire group of options controls the download of packages
> and the URI handlers.
>
>        Queue-Mode
>        Queuing  mode;  Queue-Mode  can  be  one of host or access which
>        determines how   APT  parallelizes  outgoing  connections.  host
>        means that one connection per target host will be opened, access
>        means that one connection per URI type will be opened.
> </quote>
>
> So perhaps:
>
> Acquire
> {
> Queue-mode "access"; // host|access
> http
> {
> Dl-Limit "20"; // maximum download rate in KB/s
> };
> };
>
> per suggestion:
>
> I've also created a /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/76download file with that in
> it.. now to test I'll fire up a machine that I haven't had on for a week
> or two and see what happens.

er ... could you try with and then without the queue-mode options? You
can use "-d" with aptitude (or apt-get) to only download and not install
the updates. Then do "aptitude clean" to get rid of the downloads,
toggle queue-mode option, and download the updates again and if there is
any difference in the download bandwidth cap.

Thanks.

ever having been read.