Good tools for creating tables, including CSS setup, recommendations?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Thu Feb 12 21:10:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 08:39:38PM +0100, Joep L. Blom wrote:

> > :-)  I think there was actually a B. However in the 1970s I started
> > programming in Fortran and Basic but moved on to assembler on the
> > PDP-12 (a sort of bastardised PDP-8 derivative with extra bits). Then
> > at the end of the 70s I started writing in assembler for the 8080.
> >
> Chris,
> I have to protest. The PDP-12 was not "a bastardized PDP-8" but a
> specially for laboratory work developed successor to the LINC.
> I was at that time - working as a neuroscientist - jealous of people
> using a PDP-12 as they had much better A/D converters and more memory
> than my (simple!) PDP-8 (4K 12-bit memory, Dectape and papertape as
> external media). I bought my first PDP-8 in 1969 (SN 1999!) and
> programmed exclusively in Fortran. Basic was a commodire language, we
> used FOCAL, for quick and dirty programs.

Yes, OK, the PDP-12 was a fun machine actually but it was the quickest
way to explain what it was!  :-)

I really enjoyed my years programming the PDP-12 from around 1971
through until 1977.  It had some parts that were well in advance of
its time like an interactive VDU for editing.

I joined a company (G D Searle) who took over the tail end of the
PDP-12 from DEC, it was used specifically as a hospital pathology
laboratory machine gathering data from automated blood and urine analysis.

I had a really big PDP-12 at the end where I worked in Saudi Arabia,
16k of memory (four whole banks of 4k!) and a 256k disk drive.

Oh yes, FOCAL, I remember that too, no basic of any consequence on
the PDPs then.

> (Yes, I am not the youngest on this list but certainly not the oldest!!).
> Joep

Me too!  :-)

--
Chris Green