OT Internet wars

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 17:59:50 UTC 2009

drew einhorn wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>
>>> What about DirecTV or some other satellite provider?
>> Better than dial-up, no better than QWest DSL in terms of service (and a
>> much slower link).
>
> Check the fine print on what happens if you actually use the satellite
> provider's bandwidth.
> My information is quite stale and may not be accurate.
>
> Some have very low quotas on how much traffic you are allowed to generate?
> What are those limits?
> What happens if you exceed the limit?
> If you exceed the limits and you are punished, how long does it take
> until the punishment is lifted?
> Can you tell how close to the limits you are, and cut back on your
> usage to avoid the penalties?
>
> In the past some satellite providers refused to provide answers to the
> above questions.
> I don't know what any of the providers current policies are.
>
> For example, you need to know if you can download a Ubuntu
> installation .iso without being severely punished.

20090212 1146 GMT-5

Home satellite internet is a joke. If it is the ONLY thing available
then that is your only choice. But if there is ANY other option I
strongly suggest you look at it.

HughesNet
Home 1Mbps / 128Kbps $60mo
ElitePremium 5Mpbs / 300Kbps $350mo

$300 on equipment or Lease for $100 down $10 per month - 2 year contract

Unlimited downloading between 3am and 6am

Home 200mb threshold, ElitePremium 500mb

Compare that with cable:
$30mo 8mb down 1.5mb up 10GB per day, $5 MTA modem

Compare that with wireless:
$30 to $60mo, 3-5mb down, 300 to 800kb up, 1 to 5gb per day, $100 to
$500 for equipment.

Prices differ per region.

Something to consider - Hughes net called me to service a client and
when I arrived I found they were running Red Hat. The software was
Windows only. I had originally got the client around that problem but
when HughesNet pinged the client for trouble shooting and the software
didnt respond - they discovered what I had done.

Im sure other still get around it - but if you have other options, check
them out first. Satellite is just NOT the best use of your money. And,
weather does still effect two way communication.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005