Open Ports

John John at DMJ-Consultancy.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 09:19:34 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/09/2009 09:14 AM, John wrote:
>

>> Thanks, NoOp.
>>
>> POP Port 1065: fires up on startup.
>> SMTP Port 1066: fires up on startup.
>> IMAP: disabled.
>>
>> Also changed account settings for one account as above but get a new
>> error message:
>>
>> 'Sending password did not succeed. Mail server localhost responded:
>> negative vibes from .. at hotmail.co.uk'
>>
>> Progress, at least!

> http://groups.google.com/group/thunderbird-webmail-extension
>
> Has some items relating to the new hotmail stuff - I only use yahoo.
>
> I found that for Yahoo I had to put in the full name at yahoo.com rather
> than just name. Make sure that you have the full username at hotmail.co.uk
> in *both* your POP and SMTP settings.
>
> http://webmail.mozdev.org/serversettings.html

Thanks for the links, NoOp.

I presume that since I'm getting a 'Negative Vibes' message, that I am
actually getting to the outside world. I would feel happier if I could
use ports 110 and 25 as normal rather than switching to ports 1065 and
1066 as recommended earlier. Still, at least I have green indicators on
the webmail panel instead of red ones!

However, the settings I have for the WebMail extension were imported
directly from a (working) set up on an old windoze machine, so all the
usernames have previously worked.

The Google group does not say what the Negative Vibes message actually
indicates!

Persevering...