Monitor out of range after installation [was: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com]

gayathri singh gayathri.t.singh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 18:13:38 UTC 2009

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my query. More details are embedded in the mail
below:Hope I'll be able to get Ubuntu working! thanks   for your help!

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> gayathri singh wrote:
> > I tried installing Ubuntu linux on my machine (Windows XP) & was able
> > to see the options to restart my machine with ubuntu / windows.
>
> Can you clarify a bit? How did you install Ubuntu? Did you put in the CD
> while in Windows and install Ubuntu within Windows or did you reboot from
> the CD and install from the LiveCD?

Yes, I put in the CD while in windows & clicked on the "ubuntu" icon to
install Ubuntu. Then on rebooting, I had the option to choose Ubuntu or
Windows OS.

> > However, I got stuck at the display part. My machine autodetects :
> > Digital Input (DVI port) & says:"OUT OF RANGE SIGNAL. CANNOT DISPLAY
> > THIS VIDEO MODE, CHANGE COMPUTER DISPLAY INPUT TO 1680X1050 @60Hz "
>
> That is a message of your monitor, not the computer. But when did you see
> this message? When you boot up, the first thing you see should be
> messages from the BIOS while it is checking the memory and other things.
> Then there should be a boot loader where you can select the operating
> system. That could be the Windows boot loader or the Ubuntu boot loader
> (GRUB) depending on how you installed Ubuntu. Now if you selected Ubuntu,
> it should display the Ubuntu logo and a progress bar. Finally after about
> 1 minute (or even longer if you have a very slow machine) it should
> display the login screen. Now the question is which of these parts did
> you see before there was the message from your monitor?

I saw the messages from the BIOS & the Ubuntu logo and a progress bar. After
this, I got the message on my monitor "OUT OF RANGE SIGNAL. CANNOT
DISPLAY THIS VIDEO MODE, CHANGE COMPUTER DISPLAY INPUT TO 1680X1050 @60Hz "
I could not see the login screen.

> Has anyone come across such messages before?

Not me.

> I think it could be a
> problem with display drivers on my system. But can anyone suggest how I
> could work around this problem?

It may be that there is a driver problem, but I'd rather expect a
configuration problem. If you answer the questions above to give us some
more details someone might have a solution. It would also help if you
tell us some details about your machine, especially the type of monitor
and graphics card (you can probably find out from within Windows, but I
can't help you there).

Mine is a DELL, wide screen monitor.Supports a max resolution of 1650x1024
Its an ATI Radeon HD 2400XT display.
Other hardware details:Processor is  Intel Core2Duo Quad, & is also Vista
enabled. CPU has "Optiplex 755 " written on it.

> Setting the resolution & refresh rate in windows mode doesnt help :(

No, it can't help because Ubuntu is not a Windows program but a separate
operating system which controls your computer while it is running.
Therefore Windows settings don't apply.

Nils

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: