Desktop icons

Dake K. Odzangba odzangba at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 16:04:48 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 13:58:05 Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> > I'm probably overlooking the obvious, but I was wondering where a
> > preference is to not display disk/disc volumes on the desktop can be
> > found in GNOME (default Ubuntu with compiz active)?
> >
> > Turns out turning your cube totally transparent also makes desktop icons
> > transparent, but not inactive :-)
>
> Unless I missed a reply, no one knows how to do this? Or it's not an
> option in the default Ubuntu install?

You did miss a reply:

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 18:42:24 Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 10:29 -0500, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> > I'm probably overlooking the obvious, but I was wondering where a
> > preference is to not display disk/disc volumes on the desktop can be
> > found in GNOME (default Ubuntu with compiz active)?
>
> gconf-editor -> apps -> nautilus

IOW, do Alt + F2 and type gconf-editor (you can access it from the System
Tools menu but that is usually diabled by default. Use the menu editor to
enable it for future use.) Then navigate to:

apps -> nautilus -> desktop

And uncheck the volumes_visible option. There are options to remove other
icons like the trash, home, etc., icons. Good luck.

--
Odzangba,
Blog: http://odzangba.wordpress.com