Monitor problem (WAS: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com)

Andrew Kane googoleyes at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 10:39:41 UTC 2009

It's been my experience that monitor sync rates are not always
correctly detected. For example, my Viewsonic CRT is sometimes
detected as having a max vert refresh rate of 60 Hz(!) and sometimes
having a max rate of 75 Hz. This monitor should be capable of 160 Hz.
This wouldn't be a big deal if one could set those parameters
manually, for example by editing xorg.conf, but sadly this is no
longer the case as far as I have been able to determine.
This is somewhat unlikely to be identical with your problem as you are
using a newer monitor.

If you hit Ctrl-Alt-F2, can you get a working console?