How to Enable GUI ( Graphical User interfcae in FEDORA CORE Release 4

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 05:42:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Douglas Khumalo <douglas at macromw.org> wrote:
> Dear,
>
> One of my PC is running on Fedora Core Release 4. I just inherited this
> machine, the person who was using it, disabled the GUI, all I want is to
> bring back GUI, what should I do, if at all one can have a solution to this.

You're on the wrong list ;)

Try 'yum grouplist', then in the output find the group that represents
Gnome (or KDE),  and 'yum groupinstall <that group>'.  You may need to
enclose the group name in quotes if it contains spaces (blech!).

You need to do that as root ('su -').  If you don't know the root
password, you can add "single" to the boot line in grub (at bootup
time) and then in the resulting root shell do 'passwd root' and enter
a new password (twice).  Then logout of the single user session and go
back to the above yum steps.

You will get better help on the Fedora mailing list...

Chris