XP over LTSP [was: Re: Server Best Practices --]

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Feb 11 00:17:06 UTC 2009

> So Here is the new question:  I can load XP into a virtual machine on my
> desktop.  Lots of threads about how to do it.  Can I load XP into a VM
> on an LTSP server?

Sure.

> The client then load's the Ubuntu desktop in the normal way, which
> immediatly initiates the VM and starts a windows session.

Hmm...why? The XP guest can be started on bootup and you won't have to
mess with logon scripts. All you would need would be a
rdesktop/virt-viewer launcher/desktop icon. Libvirt0 can handle the
automatic start and stop of the XP guest for you.

> NOTE:  The question is NOT about whether I MAY do that from a license
> perspective.  I know that is an issue that must be addressed seriously
> and properly.  The question IS about whether it is technically possible.

Sure. I have a XP Professional guest that can handle 3 remote desktop
sessions. Using remote desktop sure beats using vncviewer.