MiB in gparted?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Feb 10 18:13:02 UTC 2009

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:

>> B) Wikipedia has been found to be largely on par with several of the big
>> boys in "reputation" in terms of average errors while providing far more
>> topics of reference
>
> 	Not as far as I've seen. From what I've read, it's not as reliable.

You could google for the controversial article published by Nature
regarding a study of Wikipedia vs. Encyclopedia Britannica, circa 2006.
It caused quite a stir from both sides, and Wikipedia even instituted
more safeguards afterwards, but I think the initial results are worth
your interest if you wish to pursue the topic.

>> And as to the poster not having a definitive source, please don't bitch
>> about XYZ without offering an alternative. Otherwise it's more pointless
>> than bringing a wikipedia debate to an Ubuntu tech forum. If something
>> in the Wiki is wrong, people can feel free to correct it and find
>> references to refute what's stated.
>
> 	I never bitched about not having a definitive source. I merely stated
> my opinion that wikipedia is not always as trustworthy as their
> followers make it out to be.
> 	Do make note that I said "my opinion" in the above paragraph.

Saying it's not as trustworthy is something, opinion or not, that
deserves to be substantiated. You can't just dismiss it from potentially
stirring up ire by disclaiming it as an opinion any more than you can
say "That guy's a jerk! :-)" and claim you didn't mean anything by it
because of a smiley.

In dealing in an industry where we routinely have academics swinging on
both sides of the issue (you can't use Wikipedia for research because
it's inaccurate! Anyone can do anything!...well, did you alter it?...no?
Then what's preventing you from spoofing authoritative sources to pass
as original works or falsifying information??) this isn't something that
just passes as a brain hiccup. It can influence people's reputations and
hard work. So maybe it's not an issue for you any more than you shed a
tear for hitting a squirrel on your way to work, but it's not
necessarily an insignificant issue for others.

> 	Yes, complaining about something without suggesting an option is
> stupid. Same as bringing an OT debate here. Which isn't what I did.
> 	Please re-read my third message on this topic, dated 2/9/2009 15:54PM
> (EST) where I did recognize that wikipedia is OT here; I stated that I
> was putting in my _opinion_; and apologized for the 'rant' of sorts.

I apologize if you believe that my statements were entirely targeting
you, in reality only a portion was. I was ranting as well about, as I
stated, people bringing up inaccuracy of Wikipedia with little or no
substantive proof of it; I have people making rules and rejecting it as
a research source when in fact they've not had any proof that it is more
or less informative than any other source. They simply assume.

And unless I'm mistaken, you brought the rant up in the first place,
bringing the topic here. If you define bringing the OT debate by the
initial statements of the topic, I think you did bring it here; if you
define it as the first person to "take the bait", then I did.

> 	I would've let it go (this thread), but when someone inserts meaning
> into my message that wasn't there; or attacks me in anyway, I will
> defend myself.

I'll assume you're referring to the post immediately following yours? I
don't think I sent that...I don't recall inserting words into your
statements, although there are implications to what you sent initially
that can be reasonably inferred.

> 	If you're in anyway confused about my message, please ask politely,
> like an adult; and I will do my best to explain and reply in kind. Let's
> just keep this civil, shall we?

I was ranting on the topic and only portions actually were directed at
your posting, as I explained above. The ambiguousness of the references
were my fault, unless you're taking issue with those portions that
directly referenced you.

*shrug* as far as I'm concerned I've said my piece. Or is that peace?
Anything more will risk incurring the wrath of the listmoms. If you want
to discuss it then feel free to email me...otherwise I hold no ill will
towards you, and hope you feel likewise.