MiB in gparted?

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 18:03:09 UTC 2009

I am one of those who think it's important to separate MB from MiB (and GB
from GiB etc etc), just for the simple reason that there is a big
difference. It's not htat hard either: 1 MB = 10⁶ bytes = 1000000 bytes, 1
MiB = 2²⁰ bytes = 1048576 bytes.

However, I can't really say that I can see clearly why MiB is necessary
these days. Why not just skip it and only use MB, GB and so on, really
meaning MB, GB and so on? All hard drives capacity are in MB, GB or TB
anyway, not MiB, GiB or TiB.

What's wrong with saying 65,6 kB instead of 64,0 KiB? My interna drive in
this old laptop is 160 GB, so why would I say 149 GiB?

Just skip the binary prefixes and use the good old decimal ones. It's not
that complicated for anyone with a brain.

And, as a parallel in the "real" world, I still don't understand why people
say things like 325800 km rather than 325.8 Mm, which is the same thing but
the latter is shorter and better.