Firefox lock file?

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Tue Feb 10 03:20:12 UTC 2009

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 18:00 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:

>>> Should be in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile>/lock
>>>
>>> where <profile> is the unique Firefox generated profile string.
>>>

>> Well, there was nothing there, however there was an extra profile folder
>> with a lock symbol on it. I removed that and Firefox still refuses to start.
>>

> One thing I have done in the past when Firefox gets confused is to start
> it in a terminal and see if there are any error messages that point to
> the problem.  I have also moved the existing profile to another
> directory and let Firefox create a new profile and then restore the
> books marks, saved passwords, etc to the new profile.

I've tried both of those suggestions, plus marking Firefox for complete
removal with Synaptic and applying, then re-installing, and it still
will not start, claiming that it is already running. Starting it with
terminal returns no error messages.

This may have something to do with something really, really stupid that
I recenntly did. I changes some setting from the preferences menu, and
the next time I started File Manager the Desktop folder [I think, can't
remember] was in a different place than normal.

Without ever stopping to think about why or ow it could have moved, I
fired up a root file browser, and moved it back into my user folder.
AFter doing this, the next time I tried to start Nutilus, it wouldn't
start, and complained of the.gnome2 folder being missing.

I used terminal to copy the .gnome2 folder to the root, [I had to create
a root folder as well] and now I have a mess. There is a Desktop folder
at the root of the drive with nothing in it, and several other folders.
If I knew which ones actually belonged there I could maybe fix it.

At one point I was ready to re-install Ubuntu, but my Live CD will not
work anymore.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com