New User

Andrew Kane googoleyes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 02:45:50 UTC 2009

The image you need depends on the sort of hardware you have,
specifically the CPU. The i386 image is for Intel 32-bit chips, 386 up
to Pentium 4. For Intel 64-bit chips there is one called (I think)
ia64. There are images for 32-bit AMD machines (I don't remember what
that image is called) and for 64-bit AMD machines (amd64).
I see that the Ubuntu download site has been "dumbed-down" even
further, making it more difficult to find a specific image. I really
really really wish that Ubuntu would stop doing this sort of thing.
There is a difference between eliminating options from an interface
and making it user-friendly. It's unfair of them to make things *less*
friendly for us experienced users for the "benefit" of the new users,
who will have to climb a learning curve anyway.
Aaaaaaaaaaanyway...
If you don't know what sort of cpu you have I'm sure someone on the
list can enlighten you if you tell us the make and model of your
machine. If you have Windows running there is a way to ascertain this
as well- right-click on "My Computer", select "Properties," and look
for a tab that says something like "About this Computer."
In the meantime I will see if I can find where they are hiding the iso
images these days, and I'll post the link if / when I find it.
Good luck!