Asus Aspire One Network Woes

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 9 22:59:48 UTC 2009

On 02/08/2009 05:57 AM, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've just installed Intrepid onto an Aspire One notebook for a friend of
> mine.  However, I am having intermittent networking problems.  It has
> connected long enough to download and install 245 updates (this may be
> where the problem started) and Virtual Box (he wants MS Access) but
> after the last restart the network was disconnected and I could not
> persuade it to connect.
>
> To connect at all, I had to connect the ethernet cable from my desktop
> box to the notebook.  Switch off the modem, switch it back on and then
> start the notebook.  This has worked but it isn't working now.  When I
> start up, the network icon shows that the network is being searched for
> but it then  reports it as disconnected.  Attempts to reconnect fail.
>
> If it's worked before surely it can be made to work again.   All tips
> gratefully received.
>
> Cheers,

It may be a kernel problem as some have pointed out. Try installing a
lower kernel version & see if it works then. However here are some links
that you may find helpful:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager0.7
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingNetworkManager
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

But in order for anyone to help you, you'll need to provide more
information, at least:

- wificard/device type

And, if you still can't get it to work with Network Manager, you may
want to give wicd a try:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WICD

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
  http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php