Swap problems

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon Feb 9 14:32:29 UTC 2009

Rashkae wrote:
> Dake K. Odzangba wrote:
>
>> Now that I realize what is going on, I'm thinking of bumping my ram up to 4gb and adding swap but I still do not like the fact that the system went ahead to create and _use_ swap space even after I chose not to use swap. A sensible reminder in my logs (or
>> even a pop up) that I need swap space would have sufficed... especially since compcache is choking on whatever it's choking on.
>
> It did not.  There is no mechanism for a Linux system to create and use
> swap on it's own.

And just in time for me to stick my foot in my mouth, I see that Ubuntu
is installing and configuring compcache by default.. *sigh*

In any case, compcache is not created out of the blue, it will be
configured in your startup init.  And rest assured, if your system is
running out of memory and dying a horrible death with compcache enabled,
things would be even worse without.  OOM (Out of Memory) is very bad for
Linux, especially since, unlike windows, there is no default mechanism
for creating more swap space on the fly when needed.