Asus Aspire One Network Woes

Shannon McMackin smcmackin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 06:13:22 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Raquel wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 13:39:47 -0700
>> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>     I have Intrepid on my laptop too, and the last updated kernel
>>> stopped my WiFi dead! There is something real bad in that kernel! I
>>> have Grub set up to boot on the next-newest kernel and WiFi works
>>> just fine. I hope it will for you.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>
>> I bought this new laptop maybe 3 weeks ago and installed Intrepid
>> onto it.  My wired ethernet works like a charm.  Right after I got
>> Intrepid installed I took the laptop downtown to a hotspot and 8
>> different networks were located.  Now, it doesn't see a thing.
>>
>> When are developers going to fix the problem?  It seems I've read a
>> lot of complaints about this.
>>
>> So, going back to the 2.6.27-9 kernel should fix the problem?
>>

>     I will be amazed if it doesn't fix your WiFi problem. Also the
> developers are human and sometimes they do make an error. It happens.
>

> Karl

Karl and Raquel,

Did you make sure to install the backports package and the restricted
drivers package for the newer kernel?

Many times we don't have the meta-package installed for those 2 and when
the kernel update comes, it doesn't pull those in as well.

Check synaptic and see if you have those packages.  If you do and the
problem still exists, then it's a problem that should be filed as a bug
and will hopefully get addressed at some point.  in the meantime,
2.6.27-9 will continue to work.

If you don't have those packages, then install them and test.  Report
back what you find.  Then it's a case of package mgmt on the end-users part.

I've been bitten by this in the past on previous releases...