Swap problems

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Sun Feb 8 14:56:19 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 08:36 -0500, lee wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Dake K. Odzangba <odzangba at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, I do not have a swap partition (or file) because I've got 2GB of
> > > physical ram. Yet the output of free tells me:

Your problem may be a lack of swap space.  The vmalloc error messages
you see are referring to the kernel virtual memory allocator.  You are
either exceeding the size limit for kernel virtual memory or as you try
to use more kernel virtual memory, you have run out of physical memory
and there is no place to page out idle user pages to make room for the
kernel vm pages.  kernel vm pages cannot be paged and must remain locked
in physical memory.

I'd try adding a swap file first and see if that resolves the problem.

BTW, I run a notebook with 4G of physical memory and a 4G swap partition
and I still will occasionally use space in the swap partition.  It hurts
nothing to add swap space and disk space is cheap these days.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and
smoot at tic.com