replacing firefox bookmarks

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sun Feb 8 04:13:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, NoOp wrote:

> On 02/06/2009 04:21 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> Running 8.10 and Firefox 3.05 with previously imported bookmarks from
>> 8.04. Tried to import a revised bookmark.html file and it appended itself
>> to the existing bookmarks. Deleting the bookmark.html from
>> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default and /etc/firefox-3.0/profile and
>> places.sqlite did no good as places.sqlite gets rewritten when the
>> bookmark drop down menu is accessed. I tried deleting places.sqlite and
>> copying the file from my 8.04 backup without opening Firefox. Opening
>> the browser and accessing the bookmarks shows the old bookmarks.
>>
>> A search turned up someone advising deleting places.sqlite, opening the
>> browser and importing the new file. Not sure how they're doing this as
>> the file gets rewritten before the new file can be imported.
>>
>> I'm trying to replace the bookmarks, not append them.
>>
>> Any pointers appreciated. Thanks.
>>

> Create a new profile:
>
> $ firefox -P
>
> and with that profile add your bookmarks. Alternatively you can use
> Bookmarks|Organize Bookmarks and delete from there.
>
> However, in answer to the delete bookmarks (and even the
> bookmarksbackups folder):
>
> Rename:
>
> 1. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarkbackups to
> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-bookmarkbackups-x
> 2. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarks to
> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-bookmarks-x
> 3. $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/places.sqlite to
> $HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/x-places.sqlite-x
>
> and restart Fx. You'll find that your bookmarks are now set at default
> and you can import your old bookmarks if necessary.

Forgot to mention that I tried deleting
$HOME/,mozilla/firefox/vxuuxfit.default/bookmarks, and places.sqlite.
This time in addition, at your suggestion, I deleted the individual
files from the bookmarkbackups directory. Opened Firefox and lo and
behold all the old bookmarks. Of course places.sqlite, a backup file and
a bookmark file were magically recreated. I can't figure out what is
writing the places.sqlite file. Any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
  check the price of the beer"