wireless signal strength

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 8 01:40:28 UTC 2009

On 02/01/2009 07:02 AM, Paul Kaplan wrote:

> I'm just looking for something to get a more robust feel for signal strength
> (not emperical) than the guidance tray icon.  Is there any software?

Paul, you might give gkrellm and the gkrellm wireless plugin a try. The
plugin shows:

Link quality
Signal level
Noise level
Bit rate

$ sudo apt-get install gkrellm gkrellmwireless

and to get them to show in the Debian menus:

$ sudo apt-get install menu menu-xdg
$ sudo update-menus

You'll now find gkrellm in
Applications|Debian|Applications|System|Monitoring

There are more plugins available if you open Synaptic and just search on
gkrellm. Ref site is here:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html