Hardware Driver writer(s)

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 19:53:10 UTC 2009

        There is a software called System-Administration-Hardware
Drivers that are very useful if you have a video hardware that has high
definition drivers written for Ubuntu. I looked and cannot find out who
wrote this software but I would like to direct these few words to
him/them/her.

        My computer has a nVidia made video hardware. Ubuntu has a low
definition nVidia video driver they ship to everyone. Since my computer
needs a better definition I am very hurt with the provided 600X600.

        Most that can will load Ubuntu with a LiveCD. This is very good
because it allows you to see what your getting before you load it. Then
you install it and reboot. It comes up from your hard drive with the
600x600 resolution and you can see things but not well.

        After 5 minutes you see a red arrow saying you have some Updates
to load. Also you see the Hardware Drivers and if you click on that
first, it comes up and offers you 3 written by nVidia software packages
called 83,173 and 177. No idea what these numbers stand for but the page
suggests you try 173. So I do and something is wrong with the page. It
puts up a long error message telling me what software it needs to use
and can't because the software package is too old. It says to please
upgrade all these things before using Hardware Drivers.

        For success you need to load the 331 Updates for Ubuntu 8.10
before you try to fix the resolution. This takes about 4 hours with my
slow DSL Internet. Now you need to know  that you can call up Hardware
Drivers at any time. So click on the software and it is there again and
you ask for 177. It starts to download the software but the Progress
Window shows zero. I can see that something is being sent to me over the
Internet but the small Progress window showed nothing happening.

        Then the Progress window disappears your on your own. I first
tried clicking the Install button. This appeared to do nothing. But
something must have happened because the 177 software was installed. On
a reboot it comes up just a tiny line at the top of the screen. Here you
use Ctrl-Alt-F1 and drop to a simple level. There you login and go to
/etc/X11/ and edit xlog.conf by erasing it. Then you reboot and it comes
up again with the 600X600 resolution.

        Repeat all in the above with the 173 software. Then the only one
left is 83 and you try that. For some reason the Progress Window worked
and the software was installed and started. Now my resolution is
1800x1200 and looks great.

        To the writers of Hardware Drivers, your software is a god-send
to those Ubuntu users with video problems. The software needs to be
written to use the older and newer software in the LiveCD so your
software works with the un-updated software. There needs to be a way to
provide the user with which version of the video software to download.
For example my computer uses a nVidia 6300 series hardware. There needs
to be somewhere this information can be found.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User