Vlc won't play DVD's on Ubuntu, or Kubuntu Intrepid

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Fri Feb 6 19:48:32 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 15:51 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:

> I've already got the libdvdcss2 package installed, and as I said on my
> Intrepid, and also the Hardy version of vlc plays dvd's ok on
> Intrepid. I'ts only the Intrepid version of vlc which is having
> problems.

Ok, sorry for not checking first. Sending this link has seemingly become
second nature when seeing "DVD does not play".

Can you run vlc from the command line with the "--verbose <integer>"
switch (verbosity = 0,1, or 2), then play the DVD? This might give hints
in the command line output.

FWIW, Intrepid's vlc runs fine here.