8.10 problems

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Thu Feb 5 18:20:21 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>
>> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1 at gmail.com>  said:
>>

>>> I found a non-ubuntu kernel image with the Sympatic package
>>> system and installed it. Rebooted and it must be the image they use
>>> to get the 600X600 image I now have. I give up. Support for a nVidia
>>> computer using a 6300 series nVidia hardware is non-existant on  8.10
>>> today. This is odd because Hardy has fine support for nVidia 6300
>>> series.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> Hi, Karl,
>> Have you tried doing in automagically using envy-gtk?  It's in the
>> repos and worked well for me.
>> Here's what it does:
>> ------------------------
>> install the ATI or the NVIDIA driver
>> EnvyNG is an application written in Python which will download the
>> latest ATI or NVIDIA driver or the Legacy driver (for older cards)
>> (according to the model of your card) from ATI or Nvidia's website
>> and set it up for you handling dependencies (compilers, OpenGL,
>> etc.) which are required in order to build and use the driver.
>> Also, I'm pretty sure the repos are up, at least the main USA ones.
>> Are you having problems with them or getting error messages when you
>> reload your package list?
>> -------------------------
>> And the name of the program is, "syNAPtic," not, "syMPAtic."
>>
>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>

>     Well I tried on this computer in 8.10 and get:
> karl at Poor-old-8:~$ sudo apt-get install envoy-gtk
> [sudo] password for karl:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package envoy-gtk
> karl at Poor-old-8:~$
>     It appears it is no longer available, like everything else :-)
>
> Karl

It isn't available because you have mis-spelled the package name. Take
the "o" out of it so it reads "envy-gtk" and you will have no problems
getting it.

FWIW I had problems getting my nVidia card drivers installed, and my
solution was to install display-config-gtk which puts a menu entry at
Applications, Other called Screens and Graphics.

This gui tool gives you an interface which allows you to select the
Makes, and Models of your video card, and monitor, and then gets your
drivers and sets up xorg.conf properly for you.

I had tried everything else that has been suggested to you already
before trying it, and it was what finally worked for me.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com