8.10 problems

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 14:23:05 UTC 2009

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1 at gmail.com>  said:
>
>> I found a non-ubuntu kernel image with the Sympatic package
>> system and installed it. Rebooted and it must be the image they use
>> to get the 600X600 image I now have. I give up. Support for a nVidia
>> computer using a 6300 series nVidia hardware is non-existant on  8.10
>> today. This is odd because Hardy has fine support for nVidia 6300
>> series.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Hi, Karl,
> Have you tried doing in automagically using envy-gtk?  It's in the
> repos and worked well for me.
> Here's what it does:
> ------------------------
> install the ATI or the NVIDIA driver
> EnvyNG is an application written in Python which will download the
> latest ATI or NVIDIA driver or the Legacy driver (for older cards)
> (according to the model of your card) from ATI or Nvidia's website
> and set it up for you handling dependencies (compilers, OpenGL,
> etc.) which are required in order to build and use the driver.
> Also, I'm pretty sure the repos are up, at least the main USA ones.
> Are you having problems with them or getting error messages when you
> reload your package list?
> -------------------------
> And the name of the program is, "syNAPtic," not, "syMPAtic."
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

    Well I tried on this computer in 8.10 and get:
karl at Poor-old-8:~$ sudo apt-get install envoy-gtk
[sudo] password for karl:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package envoy-gtk
karl at Poor-old-8:~$
    It appears it is no longer available, like everything else :-)

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User