can 2 internet exist at same time on 8.10?

sofian sindhi sofiansisley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 14:18:03 UTC 2009

2009/2/5 Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org>

> sofian sindhi wrote:
> > Dear all:
> > I use ubuntu 8.10 and it is really nice when I connect to wire or usb
> modem,
> > since it can automatically do the network setting.
> > But I have one question:
> > Can I both have 2 networks, wired and usb modem at same time?
> > Such that I can treat my ubuntu 8.10 as a server.
> > Normally I use ssh to connect to it and if I find I need to  update some
> > package I can apt-get directly whithout unplugin the usb modem.
> > Thanks for your help,
> > sofian
> >

> Of course you can.  Linux is designed to handle multiple networks
> (really any OS is, but...).
>
> The caveat being that the networks need to be different IP subnets.  You
> can't have both networks in the '192.168.0.X' range.  (Well you can, but
> for simplcity's sake, let's not.)
>
> If one network is 192.168.1.X and the other is 192.168.2.X, then you
> shouldn't have any trouble routing between them.
>
> I guess the main question here is which one will be the default gateway
> to the internet?  I would make the 'wired' one the default for internet
> traffic, then if that goes down, you can have all internet traffic fail
> over to the modem (using a higher preference) if you want.
>
> Make sense?

Hi:
thanks for your help.
The ubuntu will automatically change the connection when I plug usb modem or
RJ45.
That means, if I originally use usb modem connect to the Internet then plug
in the wire line, Ubuntu will run autoeth0 and my usb modem will disconnect.
I previously uss ubuntu 7.10, which is not as nice as 8.10, and use vodafine
usbmodem driver to connect to the internet.
I can use 2 networks without changing the ip address, one is assigned by ISP
and another is set by myself, 192.168.1.100.

So, I have to manually configure the ip to make them under the same domain?
appreciate your help,
sofian