Upgrades and Flash

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 5 03:09:12 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 2/4/09, Bart Silverstrim <bsilver at chrononomicon.com> wrote:

> From: Bart Silverstrim <bsilver at chrononomicon.com>
> Subject: Re: Upgrades and Flash
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Wednesday, February 4, 2009, 11:44 AM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> >> I went through and deleted sets of temp files.
> After poking
> >> around for a
> >> bit, it started working.
> >>
> > Temp files? Not sure what you mean here.
> > Could be more specific and give dir+filenames.  I also
> assume that you restored you original ~/.mozilla before you
> did this as youtube was working afer mving the original.
>
> Temporary files under ~./.mozilla stored from web browsing.
> Yes,
> restored first to bring back history/bookmarks/etc.

Thanks, I'm following what you are doing now.

> >> I'm really really curious as to why something
> in temp
> >> directories or
> >> cache would have made youtube burp like that but
> not other
> >> "movie" sites!
> >>
> > What temp directories? Do you mean /tmp?
> > Or perhaps, your browser cache/history or cookie
> files? I'm really confused as to what you did and would
> really like to know exactly what you did. A reply please?
>
> cache/history information. All local just to Firefox, not
> /tmp.

Got it.

> > PS-I don't know the "why" to you
> question but many ISP's say to delete your cookie and
> history files(well cookies at least; not sure about history)
> to fix browser function issues.  It's one of the first
> things ATTYahoo help tells you to do.
>
> I know. It's a fairly common thing but without seeing
> the
> programming...well, even if I saw it I probably
> wouldn't see it...but to
> know the relationship as to why temp files, which should
> theoretically
> be session-specific and transitory, can cause browsers to
> go so haywire
> would be interesting to know. It's like not being able
> to start your car
> unless you jiggle the gearshift a little (which I later
> learned was
> because of a safety mechanism to keep the car from starting
> in a gear
> other than Park...turned out the old car needed some
> adjustment with
> that when the shifter got bumped.) Seems totally unrelated
> until someone
> explains it.

Clearing browser cache/history seems to be specific to IE and all browsers and not just to windose OS.  Thinking back, I've had to do that several times on various Ubuntu versions and Debian versions also so it's not new but I also seem to need a reminder before I remember to try it. In retrospect, it seem that you could have solved you youtube issue by just clearing out you browser history and cookie files.  Something for us none gurus to remember.  Thanks for your feedback.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net