vm

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 3 18:44:59 UTC 2009

On 02/03/2009 07:52 AM, Verde Denim wrote:
> I setup my personal Ubuntu box with 8.04 and would like to test some tools
> in virtual environments.
> Classically, vmware has been the choice for this, but I've been reading
> about VirtualPC and another app (I think it's called xen).
> I wanted to see if others on the list had a preference of one over another.
> If the consensus isn't vmware, it should probably be able to read or convert
> vmware environments, since a few at work that I'd like to test with are in
> vmware form.
>
> Thanks for any input you might have.
>
> Jack

I very much prefer VirtualBox to the free VMware offerings.
http://www.virtualbox.org/

You might find these of interest:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VBox_vs_Others

<http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/09/11/37TC-virtual-workstations_1.html>

Note: VirtualBox 2.1.2 delivers considerable changes/fixes/additions
since that comparison - see: <http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog>
Further, fully VMDK/VHD has been supported since 2.1.0:
"Full VMDK/VHD support including snapshots (see user manual, chapter
5.2, Disk image files (VDI, VMDK, VHD), page 72)"

So, give VirtuaBox a spin (be sure to use the PUEL version for USB
support: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads