Google Earth 5.0 Installation Problems

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 3 17:01:49 UTC 2009

On 02/03/2009 05:20 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/2/3 Chaman Singh Verma <csv610 at gmail.com>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was using Google Earth 4.* on my ubuntu machine(64 bit) for almost last
>> 2-3 months without any problems.
>> Today I came to know about that Google released version 5.0 and in over
>> excitement, I deleted the old one
>
> Google has not released Google Earth 5. There is a beta version of
> Google Earth 5 available. That is not a release.
>

>> csv610 at blackhole:~$ sudo GoogleEarthLinux.bin
>> sudo: GoogleEarthLinux.bin: command not found
>> csv610 at blackhole:~$ sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin
>
> Don't install it as root. Google Earth 5 is still a beta release and
> it is likely that it will ruin your computer, eat the food in your
> fridge, and sleep with your significant other. Install it as user:
>
> $ chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin
> $ ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin
> $ googleearth

Thanks for the info. BTW, my 4.3 version is beta as well:

Google Earth
4.3.7191.6508 (beta)
Build Date
Apr 11 2008
Build Time
17:53:01
Renderer
OpenGL
Operating System
Linux (2.6.24.0)
Video Driver
NVIDIA Corporation

So I reckon that another 'beta' (does Google _ever_ take anything out of
beta?) will go on the test machine for check out :-)