Another reason to prefer a real root over sudo

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Feb 3 11:10:47 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:07:34AM +0000, Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> If you are using a normal installation of Xubuntu, just click on the
> >> quit icon and then click on switch user. This is built in to Xubuntu
> >> 8.04, 8.10, 9.04. If you are using 7.10 and earlier, it may not have
> >> it, but then, it is time to upgrade soon.
> >>
> > Yes, works fine when you realise that "switch user" is a slight misnomer.
>
> Whats wrong with that term ? It means to me exactly what it does - to
> switch users NOT to log them out. Also, I think it is partly named to
> match what this is called in windows, not to confuse switchers...

I had assumed it meant log-out user A and log-in user B, i.e. "switch
user".  I agree that 'switch' can also mean what it actually does mean
in this context, it's just somewhat ambiguous.  I must admit it's
difficult to come up with a better word but (for me anyway) I need
something that implies opening a new desktop - e.g. "new desktop" or
"new session" or even "add session".

--
Chris Green