Nothing serious to report

Robert Parker rlp1938 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 16:34:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>    It appears that today users, of Ubuntu have either got it working to
> their satisfaction, or have gone back to Windows where they came from.
> The number of Grub and Video hardware questions has gone way down.
>
>    Must be about time to start a new version.

Actually the various Linux distros have become so easy to install and
use that they nearly killed the monthly meeting of MLUG (Melbourne
Aust). Once upon a time we had meetings of 30 to 40 folks most of them
with installation issues. It dropped down to 6 - 10 hard core guys who
like to Xen and MythTV etc. OTOH I am now in Chiang Mai Thailand and
meet with a computer group weekly. The first hour is devoted to
getting rid of malware from Windows. At the end of that we split 3
ways, Mac users, Linux users, and those who want to depart and
continue with their hobby interest in virus scanning Windows. The
Linux users group has grown to 6 active (all with some 'buntu or
another) and 3 or 4 who want to know more. Someone said I had sold
Linux well but no MS have done that job for me.

Bob
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!