No more "me too" posts.

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Mon Feb 2 13:29:56 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Might I add a slightly different perspective to this thread. One post
>> phrased in Linux how to could appear as a comprehension challenge to a
>> particular OP and another saying essentially the same but phrased
>> differently might capture and solve the OP's concern.
>>

> You are advocating multiple answers to a question, not multiple
> questions of a "me too" nature.
>
> Are you suggesting that each time a thread is solved, posters should
> rephrase the solution just in case it is difficult to comprehend for
> some users? Instead, I would suggest assuming that the OP understood
> the solution unless he clearly states that he does not.

Is this really another etiquette lesson on a mailing list, when if
there's one thing that has been proven time and time again it's that
people don't want to exercise common courtesy or etiquette on a mailing
list that by it's very nature gives anonymity to their shenanigans and
rude behavior (or just plain inexperience and/or laziness and/or...)?

Top posting. Huge no no. Done all the freakin' time.

Name calling.

Poor subject lines.

inappropriate me-too's.

Lose vs. loose. I still don't get that one...what's so hard about lose
vs. loose?!

Non-trimming posts.

Huge taglines.

"RTFM!"

Describe the problem! You're too vague!

You're scaring the newbies!

Think of the community!

This is a technical forum. Take this to Ubuntu-blather.

How do I unsubscribe again? (two lines above the instructions)

Don't hijack threads!

I don't have too...only if a moderator tells me to!

*plonk*

You can't even get people to drive with courtesy on the roads. I admire
your optimism that you can get this forum to come together to act with a
common set of groundrules to prevent slowly stressing yourself a little
more gray.

-Bart