How to Create a Symbolic Link to a Mounted Volume

Dom Incollingo domincollingo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 02:05:21 UTC 2009

> OTOH: if you use Gnome and did use Nautilus to access this URL, the gvfs
> will by default make the root of the remote filesystem accessible trough
> a directory below ~/.gvfs. You should be able to create a usable symlink
> pointing there.
>
> Out of curiosity: why do you want to do that?

Thanks very much for the information.  I found the file system mounted in
the ~/.gvfs/ directory, and I made a symlink to it.  It worked like a charm.

As far as why I wanted a symlink....  I'm running a Java app under JBoss,
and have been having problems with it.  One of my co-workers suggested
having JBoss point to a symlink for the remote file structure it needs to
access.  (Possibly because of the embedded spaces in the name of the file
structure name mounted in ~/.gvfs ??)

At any rate, the app is running fine now, and I now know how to find the
place where Gnome is actually mounting the volume.  Thank again for your
help and comments.

Dom