migration to 64bit ?

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 1 03:17:28 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 1/31/09, ' =JeffH ' <Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com> wrote:

> From: ' =JeffH ' <Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com>
> Subject: migration to 64bit ?
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Saturday, January 31, 2009, 7:31 PM
> I've been reading through the various 64bit threads with
> interest. I'm on a
> core2duo machine, presently running 32bit.
>
> My overall question is what are the (detailed) steps would
> one take to migrate
> a system from, say, 32bit Ubuntu 8.04 LTS ("Hardy
> Heron") to 64bit Hardy?
>
> My video card is nVidia, and it appears they have a 64bit
> linux driver. As
> threads here have indicated, there is now 64bit support for
> Flash, Java, etc.
> So those main items are apparently addressed.
>
> One item that hasn't really been discussed is virtual
> machines: I presently
> use vmware v6 to run at least one guest OS (winXP), and
> sometimes linux VMs.
> In looking at VMware's site, it seems that they've
> had 64bit support for a
> while now, and one can run 32bit guest OS's on 64bit
> host OS's, so that
> appears to be just a matter of downloading the x86_64
> installer, yes?
>
> So, if one has a functional 32bit Hardy system, what are
> the machinations to
> make it become 64bit?
>
> thanks,
>
> =JeffH

Many well tell you there is not much benefit to running 64 bit over 32 bit.
I have both 32 and 64 bit hardy and intrepid installed on my AMD 64_X2
machine and run 64 bit all the time.
I would suggest, if you have the HDD
space, to install the 64 bit on its
own partition and enjoy both.
I find the alternate CD easier and better
to use than the live CD and doesn't require
as much ram to install. You will need a CD
burner to take advantage of a fresh install.  You can order the live CD but don't think you can order the alternate CD.
If you must upgrade, google something like
"ubuntu+upgrade+64bit+hardy" or similar or
why not go to Intrepid.  I rarely upgrade on my 500 GB HDD as a fresh install is
usually less trouble. HTH.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net