wireless signal strength

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 1 02:20:10 UTC 2009

On 01/31/2009 05:57 PM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> NoOp wrote:
>>> http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/
>>>

>> Damn... My wife is really going to be pissed off at you! How am I ever
>> going to explain to my wife the charges on my credit card today?
>
> Identity theft. Damn hackers.

Yeah... and that the shirt(s) include a firewall and antivirus system as
well, so it _shouldn't_ happen again :-)

Back to Paul:

> Is there a tool to quantify the strength of the wireless signal of my home
> network at different places in house?
>
> The visual info in the guidance tray icon doesn't seem to change even if I
> move the laptop right next to the router.

Paul, in order for anyone to reasonably assist you'll need to do at
least the following:

1. Tell us what version of Ubuntu (including which desktop you are using
- Gnome, KDE, etc),
2. Tell us what you are using as your network manager; standard
installed Network Manager, Wicd, other.

Wicd allows you to modify the strength settings to use dBM to measure
signal strength. I don't believe the standard Ubuntu Network Manager has
similar. But I'm sure that others can perhaps suggest an alternate
drive-by type of program that does.