Windows decorations lost. Have to start gnome-wm manually.

David Harel hareldvd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 14:50:18 UTC 2009

Greetings,

Seems I am onto a huge bug.
Editing the main menus can cause total malfunction of desktop resulting
in windows decorations and frame loss and therefore inability to move
windows around.
Not getting anyone to direct me to proper documentation, I had to
perform some trial on error searches and eventually I found the
directory ~/.local/share/applications where *.desktop files reside as a
result of editing the main menu.
3 files I removed from that directory saved the day.
1. 'gnome-wm.desktop' - when removed, windows decorations returned.
2. 'nautilus.desktop' - when removed, desktop icons returned.
3. 'firefox.desktop' - a small issue, the firefox icon got removed from
the top panel. removing this file returned the icon.

My machine is a Fujitsu/Siemens laptop running Ubuntu 9.10

Any idea if this is a bug ?

--
Regards.

David Harel,