Linux dpkg Software Report

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Wed Dec 30 22:00:47 UTC 2009

Fred Roller wrote:
> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
>> 25.12.2009 16:17, Amedee Van Gasse:
>>

>>> On 23-12-09 06:25, Ray Parrish wrote:
>>>
>>> *snip*

>>> My eyes were bleeding when I clicked that link!
>>>
>>> I installed Stylish and created the following style sheet to sanitize
>>> your web page:
>>>

>> Well, Ray has linked alternative stylesheets to the page. So, if your
>> browser supports it, you can select (for example from Firefox' View
>> menu) a different style. There's even one with black letters on a plain
>> white background that won't expose you to the danger of getting eye cancer.
>> Also, on the top of the page there's a bar with buttons (not
>> recognizable as such) with 2 character labels. If you happen to move
>> your mouse over one of those buttons, the stylesheet will change too -
>> provided JavaScript is enabled. Clicking the button will make the change
>> permanent and will even set a cookie with the stylesheet's name.
>> So, Stylish isn't absolutely necessary to make the page readable.
>> Nevertheless, the use of providing eight different stylesheets, most of
>> which make the page hard to read, and having a style switcher users will
>> only recognize accidentally as such, is beyond me.
>>

> +1 Ray, remember KISS, Keep It Simple and Stupid.  You have a useful
> good script, don't let the web page turn 'em away.  May I suggest black
> on white, at least for now.

Hello,

I have done what you suggested, and changed the default skin on Ray's
Links to the black text on white background style sheet. I did this wth
another of my scripts, the Multi Document Block Oriented Search and
Replace script which allowed me to change the style sheet definitions in
all of my web pages in one go. Very handy.

The Linux dpkg Software Report script set is now accompanied by an
install script, and will install into the /usr/local/bin/ folder so you
do not have to use the absolute path name to run the script.

I have also added a configuration file which allows the user to specify
the output folder the script should use, if they decide to use other
than the default folder path.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions for making my script more Linux
standard, it was a great help!

Happy New Year everyone!

Later, Ray Parrish

--