Linux dpkg Software Report

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Wed Dec 30 17:58:17 UTC 2009

Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
> On 23-12-09 06:25, Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I hope I won't get flamed for this, but I have just completed my most
>> ambitious script to date, and have completed the Linux dpkg Software
>> Report script which takes output from dpkg, and formats it into html
>> pages sorted by package section, such as Games, Editors, etc... and also
>> generates an alphabetical index to the packages.
>>
>> All web urls, ftp urls, and emails in the dpkg output have been
>> converted to clickable links, and there are links to each package's
>> installed files lists, and configuration files lists, as well as any
>> index.html files in that package's /usr/share/doc/packagename folders.
>>
>> I've released it as open source, and it is available at -
>>
>> <http://www.rayslinks.com/LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.html>
>>
>> There is also a sample output set from the script available for perusal
>> linked on that page.
>>
>> Sorry if you consider this spam, it's not a technical question, but an
>> announcement of something  I think could help some people learn their
>> systems easier.
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> I extracted the .tar.gz file to /home/amedee/downloads/SoftwareReport.
> Then I did 'cd /home/amedee/downloads/SoftwareReport'.
> Next I did './LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.sh'
>
> The result was a lot of errors:
> ./LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.sh: regel 290: ./WriteHTML.sh: Bestand of map
> bestaat niet
>

> However, it worked when I invoked it with
> `pwd`/LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.sh
>

> I suppose that this is because you need $DirectoryName for some reason.
> I suggest that for the next version of your script you remove the
> dependency for an absolute directory path. A script should be able to
> run no matter how you start it.
>
> My 2 cents.

Hello,

You aren't the only person that told me it should not need the absolute
path to start up. I was not aware that $0 returned only the command line
used to start the script, and not the absolute path to it's location
regardless of the command line used to start it.

Now that I know that I need to install the scripts to a place found in
the PATH variable, I will be able to modify the script to run without
needing to know the absolute path it was started from.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
The Future of Technology.
http://www.rayslinks.com/The%20Future%20of%20Technology.html