Decompressing .tar.xz

Res res at ausics.net
Wed Dec 30 01:30:53 UTC 2009

xz is a new compression method, apparently better compression than bzip,
but very much faster extraction, however compressing, it is a time
consuming S of a B, but has become rather popular in some parts.

Slackware is using this for its packages for about a year in -current and
release 13.0

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009, hanifa hanujan wrote:

> Well,   Christian,
> As far as i am not a well geek in Ubuntu and Linux but in my opinion and understanding there isn't any file format as you have said that <"*.tar.xz">
> i think either you have downloaded a wrong file or it might have been misspelled by the creator of that file; i think i should be "*.tar.gz" OR " *.tar.bz" AND also "*.tar.bz2"
>
> i have never experienced any file ending with tar.xz;
>

> i suggest you to rename the file as *.tar.gz OR *.tar.bz it may work for you
>

> by the way you should have tried Ubuntu's official resporitary for that thing.
>

>                   Hanif Baloch
>

>      Get your preferred Email name!
> Now you can @ymail.com and @rocketmail.com.
> http://mail.promotions.yahoo.com/newdomains/aa/

Res

"What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?" - One hell of a lot of bugs!