How to prevent changing UUIDs on install?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 19:19:58 UTC 2009

>>> ?!
>>> # cat /usr/sbin/update-grub
>>> #!/bin/sh -e
>>> exec grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@"
>>> # cat /usr/sbin/update-grub2
>>> #!/bin/sh -e
>>> exec update-grub "$@"
>>> update-grub and update-grub2 just run grub-mkconfig. update-grub used
>>> to be used for grub1 so it seems to have been kept for continuity (as
>>> well as brevity).

>> Thanks for the update. I stand corrected.

> Further to add...though tried this (cat /usr/sbin/update-grub) in hardy
> where I had it converted to grub2, (but left the menu.lst there)
> the results are as follows.. (in the pastebin)..

> http://paste.ubuntu.com/348645/

> So I guess this (update-grub) shouldn't be used where karmic was
> upgraded from jaunty where grub-legacy was installed. I also think it is
> a recent addition as I remembered trying this out (without success) with
> grub2...not sure when though.

You're welcome. I assumed  when I answered that you were momentarily
confusing update-grub with grub-setup or grub-install...

Your pastebin upload looks like grub-mkconfig, which makes sense
because if you look at the official grub2 wiki, as of 2008 (when that
page was last updated; I don't know the exact date), there was no
grub-mkconfig and update-grub was listed in the man page as the
executable to create grub.cfg.

Further confirmation: grub-pc in Hardy is at 1.96+20080203-1ubuntu2
and it does not include grub-mkconfig. See:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/i386/grub-pc/filelist