Gnome users who have tried KDE: convince me!

user1 bqz69 at telia.com
Tue Dec 29 16:02:26 UTC 2009

I always install ubuntu, and then gnome by default is installed.

Then  I install kde and kubuntu-desktop using synaptic.

Then you can log in to either gome or kde as you like, and you can run
(almost as far as I know) all programs i either gnome or kde at will, a
matter of taste.

I use dolphin as my filemanager, and sometimes (very rarely) I use
nautilus in kde, and sometimes I use konqueror as  filemanager and it is
both webbrowser and filemanager in one.

Sometimes I need to make some setup in gnome, following instructions from
ubuntu-users mailing list, and then after that done, I go back to kde.

I have been using kde 3.5 for a long time, and now I use kde 4.2, and
sometimes I miss kde 3.5, as I was so used to it, but kde 4.2 is ok, but
not much better, I find.

You can also use e.g. fluxbox, xfce4, lxde or some other, just install it
using synaptic, and then log in to which desktop you choose at boot time.

But almost all the time I use kde, as it generally is very easy to use, I
find.

It is all a matter of choice, but one should stick to the same desktop,
the more you use it the faster you can work.