How to play a usb record player that shows up as "line in"?

Bazooka Joe fastfish at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 01:51:47 UTC 2009

For Christmas I got a sony record player with usb and I would like to
use it with my ubuntu htpc.

Ubuntu finds it when I plug it in and I can see it works - the "line
in" meter is moving in sound preferences.

I can record the line in and play it back but thats not what I wan to
do - i want to play my record player through the computer speakers.

Thinking I need some kind of player that will take the line in and
play it.  Tried vlc and rhythmbox, nothing.

Any ideas?

-bazooka