using TV with laptop

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 22:15:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 4:04 PM, <accessys at smart.net> wrote:

> Got a new HD TV, and wanted to hook the laptop to if for occasional use,
> but
> the sound works buts not the video.   System 76 laptop with ubuntu 8.10
> running
> and gnome.
>
> new HD TV fairly generic with lots and lots of plugs on the back.  use the
> VGA
> cable from the video out slot on the laptop to the VGA slot on the tv and
> have
> all the tv settings correct.  but still no video,  like I said sound is
> fine.
>
> before I run out and buy a HDMI cable is there maybe something I'm
> overlooking.
>
> Bob

 On a lot of laptops, you have to push some sort of key combination to "turn
on" the video output to the vga port.  I just did a quick glance on their
site and looking at the "Lemur Ultrathin 14 inch" (I didn't know which one
you had so I randomly picked one) it looks like you would hold the blue Fn
key and press F7.  That said, it is a little hard to see the pictures on the
F keys in the picture they have, so that may be wrong.  I have also found
with some laptops that if you start them up with the monitor/TV connected,
it will find it "easier".  Lastly, if the video chipset is NVIDIA based, try
installing nvidia-settings (apt-get install nvidia-settings) and you should
be able to turn on dual monitors from there.  If it is not NVIDIA based, I
am sure there is a way to do it through one of the GNOME control panels, but
I use XFCE, so I'm not sure exactly where it would be.  Just google for your
chipset and dual monitors and the instructions for using dual monitors
should be pretty much the same as the built in screen and a TV through a VGA
port.

Hope this helps,

Preston