Ram defrag in UBUNTU

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Mon Dec 28 17:01:01 UTC 2009

On 28-12-09 13:00, Melissa Lane wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone knew how to defrag the RAM or knew of a program
> that works in UBUNTU to defrag RAM. I used to use System Mechanic Pro on
> Windows for all that stuff but it isnt available for LINUX

If you think that you are beter at memory management than your computer,
you can try the following commands:

sudo swapoff -a
sudo swapon -a

This forces the kernel to clear all swap memory.
Just like RAM defrag, it is utterly pointless, but at least you have the
idea that your computer is obeying your commands.

I have looked at the feature set of System Mechanic, and I can give you
the following Linux alternatives:

Improve startup: the Linux devs are doing this for you, with every new
release. The new event-driven bootup system, Upstart, is a big
improvement. So you don't need that.

Optimize registry: Linux doesn't have a registry, so not needed

Delete junk files: Bleachbit

Tune automagically: not needed, the Linux kernel does that for you

Protect your system: at the time of writing, there are no known Linux
viruses in the wild. Ubuntu Linux comes with a firewall.

Is there anything else that you need? Please describe in detail what you
are missing and we will explain what the alternatives are, or why you
don't need it.

You should also know that Linux follows the principle of "do only one
thing, and do that good". System Mechanic is a very complex program that
does a lot of different things that are totally unrelated. It's one
program that tries to do 10 things. On Linux you would have 10 different
programs that do only one thing.

--
Amedee