How to prevent changing UUIDs on install?

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 22:27:44 UTC 2009

Florian Diesch wrote:
> Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ubuntu has been using UUIDs in Grub instead of the traditional /dev/*
>> setup for a few versions now. One thing that bothers me is that the
>> UUIDs change when installing a new system, so other bootable
>> partitions no longer can access the partition in which a new distro
>> was installed. How can one intall Ubuntu yet have it keep the old UUID
>> for the partition that it is being installed onto?
>
> The UUID is a property of the file system so it changes if you create
> a new file system. For ext2, ext3 and ext4 file systems you can change the
> UUID using tune2fs -U
>

>    Florian

	Well the UUID is supposed to automagically take on the proper
/dev/sda5 by itself if /dev/sda4 changes to /dev/sda5. I think
this is stupid and have felt this way from the first time I
started using Ubuntu. I was told it works fine and it really
is magic!

	Well I have never encountered a situation that causes a
partition to change locations. I add a line in my boot file
that says for example, " # This is /dev/sda3". The UUID is a
jumble of characters you can not get /dev/sda3 from.

	So the next step is to delete the UUID and replace it with
the simple actual data.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI