installing MP -190

Steve Cook yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 27 18:49:43 UTC 2009

On 27/12/09 16:39, Steve Cook wrote:
> On 27/12/09 16:09, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
>>

>> Sorry! Is that all the error message, didn’t it tell you what was
>> missing. How are you installing the debs. -- Steve
>>

>> I installed just by double clicking the package:
>> MP190_debian_drivers.tar and then MP190_debian_printer.tar. I think
>> that was the order. I think that one of these produced
>> cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb and I double clicked that.
>>
>> The message from the latter is: Failed to completely install all
>> dependencies. Run sudo apt-get install -f. That removes this
>> cnifilter that I just tried to install, which is the printer driver
>> if what i am reading is correct.
>>
>> I am not 100 sure of the sequence but I think this was it.
>>

> That’s what I’m doing. Somewhere it told me it depends on libcupsys2,
> so I tried installing that and got the following.
>
> steve at fosse:~$ sudo apt-get install libcupsys2
> [sudo] password for steve:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package libcupsys2 is a virtual package provided by:
> libcups2 1.4.1-5ubuntu2.1
> You should explicitly select one to install.
> E: Package libcupsys2 has no installation candidate
> steve at fosse:~$ sudo apt-get install libcups2
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> libcups2 is already the newest version.
> libcups2 set to manually installed.
> You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
> cnijfilter-common: Depends: libcupsys2 (>= 1.2.1)
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution).
> steve at fosse:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Correcting dependencies...Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED
> cnijfilter-common
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 156kB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
> Abort.
>
> I’ll have another look after I’ve taken the dogs for a walk

As libcupsys2 isn’t installed you’ll need to install it from
http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/c/cups/libcupsys2_1.3.9-2ubuntu9.3_all.deb

apt-get -f install to get rid of the broken package if need be.

Install libcupsys2, cnijfilter-common, cnijfilter-mp190series and you
should now have the MP190 in CUPS. Haven’t tried the scanner driver yet.
I can’t confirm if the printer works as I don’t have this model.

--
Steve