Massive log files

Paul Hartman 276764 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 18:31:43 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-27 at 09:44 -0600, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
> > Hey,
> > I recently noticed that my log files are becoming extremely large on log
> > file was 1.3 Gigs in size. here is an excerpt from syslog
> >
> > Dec 26 10:53:22 ubuntu rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd"
> > swVersion="4.2.0" x-pid="794" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd
> > was HUPed, type 'lightweight'.
> > Dec 26 10:53:22 ubuntu kernel: [ 1944.293302] CPU0: Temperature above
> > threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 225053)
> <snip>
> > This particular log was over 500 megs in size and consisted almost
> > entirely of this message over and over. What is causing this and how do
> > I fix it?
>
> A couple of things to check:
> - are all fans running?
> - is the case dust clogged?
> - is the CPU pegged at 100% for long periods?
>
> If all of the fans are operational, check for buildup of dust.  A can of
> air and a face mask (if you're allergic) will clean the system quickly
> and efficiently.  Be careful to clean only when the system is off.
>
> If a CPU fan is not running, shut down the system immediately and fix
> it.  If a case fan is not running, it's probably OK to leave the system
> open until you can replace the fan.
>
> The message indicates a serious problem that you need to address as soon
> as possible.  Running too hot can do serious damage.
>
> ...Ken

The system I have is a Dell Dimension 3000. the case fan and the cpu fan
are the same but i opened up the case, and pulled the wind tunnel to
look at the heat sink. there was a little bit of dust but not much. And
that little bit I removed. The fan seems to be working right as there
was not much in the way of heat build up. I am running Boinc on this
system and it usually is pegged at 100% when it is running. I just
recently upgraded from 8.04 to 9.10. When I was running Hardy this
problem never came up. I've disabled boinc and am fixing to reboot to
rebuild the log files I've deleted.