Some arabic fonts in docs are not visible...

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 27 03:59:16 UTC 2009

On 12/26/2009 11:03 AM, arshad wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-12-26 at 09:44 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/26/2009 12:51 AM, arshad wrote:
>> > hi all,
>> > im having a weird problem, that some arabic fonts are not visible when i
>> > open the pdf in evince or the doc in gedit.
>> >
>> > I have posted this in evince mailing list. but so far no reply
>> > eventhough its been about 5 days since i posted it.
>> >
>> > anyone know how to solve this?
>> >
>> > i get free white space in the place of the arabic text. but the same doc
>> > can be opened clearly with the arabic texts in windows.
>> >
>> > thank you very much.
>> >

>> https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=evince+%2Barabic
>>
>> Perhaps you can ask that this bug be reopened:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/poppler/+bug/151608
>> [Evince Document Viewer 2.20.0 fails to read Arabic PDFs]
>> Be sure to provide details & a sample doc/pdf.
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
>>

> hi thank you for the suggestion.
> i have replied there five days ago and no action yet :(
> and this is a thread in ubuntuforums:
>
> thank you very much.

What version of evince & gedit? The test pdf in the bug report worked ok
on my version of evince (and Adobe Reader 9):

$ apt-cache policy evince
evince:
  Installed: 2.28.1-0ubuntu1.2
  Candidate: 2.28.1-0ubuntu1.2
  Version table:
 *** 2.28.1-0ubuntu1.2 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.28.1-0ubuntu1 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Packages

$ apt-cache policy gedit
gedit:
  Installed: 2.28.0-0ubuntu2
  Candidate: 2.28.0-0ubuntu2
  Version table:
 *** 2.28.0-0ubuntu2 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Although I admit that I could very well missed something as I don't read
arabic. However, I couldn't detect any blank white spaces in any obvious
locations.

Also viewed w/evince in jaunty (evince 2.26.1) and appears the same and
the karmic screen (they are side-by-side). So you're going to need to
submit some test pdf's and some screenshot to show what exactly you are
missing.