S20/20 - anyone heard of it?

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 23:51:54 UTC 2009

2009/12/24 Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk>:
> Johnny,
>
> Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> At school at the end of the 1980's we had a Unix multiuser system with
>> a lot of terminals in a few rooms. The software installed was Emacs
>> (for text editing, MUD, IRC etc), WordMarc Composer + (word
>> processor), Talk (chat program) and you name it. There was also a
>> spreadsheet program called S20/20.
>
> This rang a bell with me as something on Digital (DEC) computers. A
> quick google shows it was originally for VAX/VMS (which was not Unix!)

So they must have been ported it to Unix then. We had Berkeley Unix
and Unix System V installed on our machine. Before switching to Unix
we had a Prime 750 with Primos and Primix as oprating systems, but I
don't think we had S20/20 back then, BUT we had WordMarc Composer and
Emacs.

After having a look at your link (and the links given by others who
replied) I realize now that the name of the program was not S20/20 but
rather 20/20. I remember that I learned it by a built in tutorial, and
to start it I entered ”t2020”. To start the actual program the command
was ”s2020”, so I guess ”t” means ”tutorial” and ”s” means ”start” or
something like that.

Thanks, all you guys, for the links. Strange that I couldn't find
anything, or maybe I was just too lazy or something…

Johnny Rosenberg